Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The American Church & Why it is Dying Part 2

Since when in Church history have we started showing such distain for our elders? In the early church from what I have studied, those who were along in their years were in one of two categories (sometimes both). Either they were put in leadership positions so the young could glean knowledge from them or they were taken care of by those in leadership positions. Both of these categories were respected and cared for to some degree. The early church looked to the elderly for wisdom and understanding.

In the modern American church I have not seen that. But some of the things I do se are ignoring the older generation (financially & physically), disrespecting them, and even situations that seem downright abusive! Money goes to missions and the youth. Not that it is a bad thing to fund them, but why isn’t there more financial attention on the elderly. A common answer for this is that Missions & Youth are the future of the Church, but I will make this one warning. People (that is all of us) go nowhere when we forget our past. Why can't some of the money a lot of churches spend on other things go to care for these people? The elderly are there to help guide us, despite the fact that they are ignored. It makes me think, what else is the Church at large ignoring… answer: A LOT!!!! But, back on track.

Ignoring the people who have a lot of experiences under their belts is a bad idea. These people are here for a reason! The Church should be set up so that the elderly mentor the youth (not the youth hog all the money). I have seen a lot of big churches go almost belly-up because they can’t find enough people to volunteer. Maybe because they haven’t tried to enlist this entire population that sit alone in the back and are not seen!

So, what if elderly people were youth sponsors in your youth group? Well, I’m glad you asked. Here are some things that could take place: Actual mentorship could happen, loud music & videos would be replaced with interesting conversation, hype & emotional highs would probably be replaced by actual learning, and maybe, just maybe… your teenage girls wouldn’t come to church dressed like whores! Wouldn’t that be great!

I know what some of you may be thinking… “But old people hate me!” Here to tell you that is not true! Try to get to know them, you know… spend some actual time with them and you will find out they are amazing people… full of stories and experiences. For Pete’s sake, my arms are filled with tattoos and one of the closest people to me is a 78 year-old man. Not all of the elderly are angry, judgmental people.

I know this entry is ripe with sarcasm and most will likely ignore what I am saying. But, just give them a chance okay? A youth minister friend once told me not to worry about the elderly in the church. He said, “don’t worry, they may be a problem now… but they’ll be dead in a few years anyway.” That is a shitty way to view our elders. I have come to realize it is not a general population of old people in the church that are the problem it is attitudes like that.

I pray for a church someday that gets back to its roots on so many levels. A church with no programs, paid staff *, or ignoring of the elderly. Instead, a loose organization of people who long for community and want to grow together in service.

*Spoiler for the next issue I will attack!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your thoughts. I can somehow connect with several of them. I actually was intrigued enough to read all of your posts and whether they are right or wrong in my or anybody else's opinion doesn't matter. That's not the point. You are honest and raw and you are obviously wrestling with issues that are real to you and your relationship with Christ. It's refreshing. Please continue. I look forward to more.....

Iwriteyouread said...

Thanks Mike...

I guess the years of being a pleaser in the church still drives me to sometimes worry about people's thoughts. I'm glad you can see my points even through all of the rambling. Cheers!

Dustin said...

At times, I do understand why the "Church" has ignored the elderly...it doesn't justify any of it, however. There is a vast wealth of knowledge and experience contained in their many years. We should listen to them more :)

Anonymous said...

but old people represent tradition and tradition is oppressive... aren't we supposed to be continually evolving into a superhuman a-spiritual race of pragmatically nice anthropoids?

i disagree with mike's statement. it DOES matter whether your opinions are right or wrong. and i (who, like you, am right about this) say the old are our future. only the actually old, though. those middle agers have got to go.

continue to rock me.

Anonymous said...

You misinterpret my words Matt. I am not saying it doesn't matter if a person arrives at truth, albeit his truth. I am saying in the process to discover the truth, it doesn't matter if ones thoughts are right or wrong, subjectively, during that process. After all arriving at the truth does require that you are wrong a bit along the way, doesn’t it? Otherwise where is the joy in the discovery? Life would be pretty bland to have the confidence to know you are always right. What’s the point of any discussion then with the mere mortals who are wrong? And really what is truth? What is reality? Your perception of reality is vastly different than the guy sitting next to you. So the real questions may be is there even such a thing as “reality?” C.S. Lewis explores the discovery of truth in a letter he wrote in May of 1939….

“The process of living seems to consist in coming to realize truths so ancient and simple that, if sated, they sound like barren platitudes. They cannot sound otherwise to those who have not had the relevant experience: that is why there is no real teaching of such truths possible and every generation starts from scratch.”

The accuracy of his comment is notable since one is not born into the world with knowledge of truth, only with a sinful nature. As far as a pragmatic anthropoid – I don’t have enough faith in that truth.

However, I deviate from the original topic…..I like old people too!

Iwriteyouread said...

Well said Mike... anyone who can take on Matt with such a retort wins over some of my respect! But in all honesty, I have seldom seen him be wrong. (haha)

I'm glad you feel that way about old people as stated, "the old are our future."

I am intrigued by the idea that although we do sort of start from scratch as Lewis said, we have a tremendous foundation in the experiences of the elderly.

Dustin... explain what you mean please.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy Matt's comments and his multiple sites in which to read them.....

I agree, we do have a foundation in the eldery, our parents, our pastors and let's not forget the infallible word of God. But regardless it [truth] is still ALL learned.

[Hey for some reason my link is not showing up, so if you want to feel free to retort on some of my comments. You can find them at mikezook.com]

Dustin said...

In reference to my previous comment, when I use the word "understand" I do not use it with the connotation of acceptance of the reason why it is done. Rather, I should have said that I "know" the reasons why the Church has ignored the elderly, but I do not condone them. Does that make better sense? I sure hope so :) I'm not always clear, but rest assured it is clear in my own head ;)

Iwriteyouread said...

Dustin, yeah... it makes sense now. Sorry I can be a little slow at times.

Mike, I can't wait to check out your thoughts.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

deepen elderly composite logical teresa ykbzlsal scenarios prompt divest cleric franchises
lolikneri havaqatsu