Monday, February 12, 2007

The American Church & Why it is Dying Part 1

I haven’t been to church in a long time. That isn’t shocking to most people, but I grew up in church… and part of me (not a big part mind you) misses it. My family would find this fact quite disturbing. You see several of my (and my wife’s) family members are in the ministry in one shape or form. I even studied to be a minister. Being in the ministry has always been a passion, but as of late I have become too jaded.

When I meet someone, I can usually tell if they are a minister or especially a youth minister right away. I guess that is a curse for going to a (nameless, to protect the innocent) Christian College. But I, like a lot of others, are almost immediately frustrated when meeting “church people.” Now don’t get me wrong, I have many friends who are involved in churches and even a lot who feel the same way I do and still manage to go. What I don’t understand is this pit in my stomach if I do actually try to get up on Sunday morning.

From what I can tell, we (most people in the world) have had our share of assholes in the church. And I too am an asshole on some levels, no better than anyone. But what separates me from those who have the courage and will to get up and face the music (literally, because I hate worship music) on a Sunday morning? Is there such a thing as having your fill of church? Am I all churched out? And really if I feel this way… what about those who haven’t had any good experiences with church people? I have been blessed with quite a few, but what about those who haven’t? You see, there are a lot of hurting people who need a lot of help. And I will tell you some things they don’t need:
Welfare & more programs (in their corrupt form)
Food & Clothing (traded for forced Bible study or Chic tracks)
Or anyone else trying to take advantage of them!

Not trying to be mellow-dramatic… just food for thought!

2 comments:

Dustin said...

Maybe, if instead of building giant buildings to our own greatness and filling them with "creature comforts" for the yuppie class, we could open up our warm buildings to those with no place to lay their heads on a cold night like tonight is bound to be.

We would be more of a "church" then than we are any other day of the year.

Good start to what is bound to be an interesting series.

Iwriteyouread said...

But you see, if we don't have big buildings & programs, we can't have non-profit status and governement tax breaks.

If we don't have nice, padded seats & coffee bars, we can't attract the most amount of people.

In turn, if we invited "those people" into our buildings there is a large possibility that the buidling would start to smell. Or at least that's what a former employer told me.