Sunday, February 24, 2008

Whatever Happened to Customer Service?

Lately, I have seen a trend in the companies I deal with on a regular basis. It seems corporations are getting so big, that they have no need to extend any kind of customer service.

1. Take the truck we rented from U-haul recently. After the woman who rented us the truck agreed to one price over the phone and a certain pick-up time, she was an hour late with no real warning. After checking the truck over and taking it home we found that the truck had paintballs in the back that had been in the side-rails of the walls. These paintballs stained our mattress and made a mess. I called the woman who rented us the truck and she assured me that she would help us out and work something out for us. Not only did she not help us, but she overcharges us an additional $10. When my wife spoke to the area manager for the company he had the nerve to raise his voice to her over the phone. Well, they will never get our business again... and I intend to tell all my friends!

2. My wife has bought textbooks on Half.com for college/graduate school pretty reguarly over the last few years. Similarly, we have sold many books, movies, & cds on the site as well as selling things out of my Ebay store. Recently my wife spent $60+ on two books from Half.com, after several weeks of not receiving them we contacted the seller and complained. He did not feel inclined to respond so we sent a complaint through Half.com. After investigating they sided with him because he produced a delivery confirmation number & an insurance number. When we looked into this with the post office, they told us that yes the books were delivered... but the insurance was bogus. Now that Half.com has closed the matter, they have refused to talk to us about it anymore... and we are left with no way of getting our money back. Buyer beware... sounds like a scam to me.

3. Even my favorite company seems to be pulling a fast one as of late. We have been members of Netflix for almost 5 years, and I personally have reffered over 5 people who have at least stayed members for 6 months. In the past I have been able to get my new movie within 2-3 days at the most, usually 2 days. Over the last 6 months I have seen a dramatic slow-down in how quickly I receive the movies. Now it takes 4,5, or even 6 days just to get a movie... that is ridiculous. I complained to them and (of course) they blamed it on the postal service. Oddly enough sometimes they report a movie returned to me in the morning and then the new one doesn't even ship until the next day, late afternoon. That just doesn't seem right to me...

I know that corporations are a necessary evil in the modern world. But, doesn't it seem like the idea of customer service has gone out the window?

No comments: