Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Why I Don’t Care What Rich/Famous People Do

Originally, I was going to make this post the night of the Oscars… but of course things got in the way. After reading a post by my good friend Dustin and some recent statistics, I guess the term “rich people” applies to me as well… at least on a global scale. But what I am talking about now are the rich & famous people of America. You know, the celebrities of movies, sports, music, politics, and glamorous lifestyles.

What rekindled my interest in doing this post is a story I heard on NPR of all places. I am used to them talking about movies, music, & of course politics… but today’s story was ridiculous. They mentioned an online entertainment news site that I had never heard of. That is no big surprise because we have 5 TV channels at my house and we stay away from shows like “Entertainment Tonight,” “Extra,” and the like. It is getting increasingly harder to not hear these stories... they are even on the nightly news for Pete's sake! What frustrated me about this story is that I listen to NPR for news and interesting stories about “real” people. I say “real” because I honestly do not care about who wins awards, who is dating who, and what scandal is currently taking place.

I guess that is yet another difference between me and the rest of this country. You see, there are certain actors, actresses, musicians, and other famous people that I really admire their work… but, and let me make this clear, I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR PERSONAL LIVES!!! What they do with their time is their business.

Furthermore, when they get involved in some kind of awareness or campaign for something I do not see the point. I mean come on… you are an overpaid entertainer! That’s nice that you give a shit about something other than your huge house and fancy cars, but what do you want a pat on the back?

I guess the real question is: Why is it so important for Americans to emulate rich celebrities? I just don’t get it… would someone explain it to me? In a way, I feel the answer all boils down to Capitalism… am I right?

2 comments:

jeremiah.maloney said...

fascinating jimmy absolutely fascinating. At my current job all of our televisions in the breakrooms are fixed onto Fox news and so more often than not I am forced to hear the latest "unfair and unbalanced and mostly bullshit" newstory of the week. Take the hype around anna nicole smith's passing. I mean they turned that woman's death into a freak show! One day of news coverage for the queen of the money grubbing ex-strippers was enough. But three weeks??? It's not like she was a fucking humanitarian... holy shit! Our news sources have the propensity to stretch the most mundane shit into 3 week blow by blow news stories.

I think we could learn a lot from the british, they keep their tabloids and their news seperate. I just recently joined the cult of the cable subscribing folk and when i want to watch the news it's straight to the bbc, short sweet and to the point!

I believe the term for this phenomenon is "the cult of celebrity". It a drug more powerfull than any opiate. Dellusion! It's our nation's amazing uncanny ability to focus on who's tit slipped out of what designer's dress while our president continues to spend more of our hard earned tax dollars conquering the latest oil field for haliburton, instead of health care for his citizen's or education for the nation's children. cheers! =-)

Anonymous said...

hi