Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Is There Any Room Left In America For Me?

Obviously I have established myself already as a “comic book dork.” That being said, this last week was sad for me… and some people at Marvel comics too. Steve Rogers (the original Captain America) was killed. I know what you are thinking… it is just a comic, and I will get to that. Also, knowing the pattern of comics, Marvel will probably bring him back at some point. The reason I am writing about this (again) is that the comics I have been reading lately have reminded me of a question I have tried to bury in the back of my mind. Well, really a lot of different questions.

First of all, has the country changed enough that there is no room for a person like myself? The sharp divide in the U.S. over, well every damn issue, has reached a boiling point. We have red versus blue states, left versus right, and all kinds of division today. The battle between those who want personal freedom and those who want protection is growing. I see friends who once used to stand with me in the middle being pulled to one side or the other.

Secondly, was I born in the wrong generation? Yes, I believe so. Not just because of my music and literature preferences, but specifically because I still uphold “outdated” values when it comes to today’s standards. You see, I believe in personal freedoms with the responsibilities they demand. I am not willing to trade my freedom or my safety, and in our current climate that puts me in a small minority. People have said that I can’t have both, and maybe that will be true soon… but I cannot condone hostile governments or chaotic republics.

Third, will these feelings clear up when the current president is not in the office anymore? Here is my two-sided answer… No, because it is not just him and his administration that are screwing up this country. Okay republicans are stuck on things like abortion, wars, & not taxing their rich buddies… But democrats are not the answer either! They are stuck on being a damn reaction to the republicans… and a lot of them are rich pricks too! The other side of that answer… do you really think our country and possibly the world will last that long? You tell me!

I know there have to be more out there like me, but I wonder if anyone else worries about our current direction as much as me… as for the idea that it is “just a comic” part of me agrees, but read my previous comic post for that.

1 comment:

Dustin said...

You're just a raging hippee :) Just kidding. I think the idea of find "room" really lacks any true understanding of where you are at. Of course America has "room" for tons of people--the difference comes in whether or not they have "room" for your opinions. Most of the time, if you refuse to be part of the political process, i.e. "THE PROBLEM," then you fail to have a voice. I say, "screw that!", I don't have to be part of the problem in order to know there's a problem.